This was a fairly interesting study to learn what the researchers might about a small number of folks who participate on Online Social Networks (OSN's), in particular, Facebook. I say "small number of folks," because I think the researchers miss a perhaps larger audience that still exists on the USENET and in places like IRC. I make this point because the authors indicate "internet communities" right up front on p. 63. I think due to the novelty of the web and Facebook, this study gains attention and takes a footing for such a discussion; we all know Facebook now, though many did not in 2006. I also consider this a bit myopic in light of the so much larger and much more time tested Internet communities, the USENET specifically.
However, the advantage with Facebook is it is fairly contained and
provides some specific data right in the application for each user, like
number of "friends" (I prefer to call them connections) folks have. In addition, for the researchers, as Facebook is generally a highly individual effort, each user typically has their own account and only posts about themselves and their lives, this allows for this fairly detailed study.
What I think I liked most was the researchers viewpoint to investigate via the literature that was already available. They note, "social actors are connected to each other and how these interconnections shape society to each other and how these interconnections shape society" p.64. I like that whole social actors thing; I have been cognizant on my FB page these last couple of weeks such that likely what I post, will fall into the data collection I will do for this class. I cannot say this knowledge has not shaped my behavior on FB. To that extent then, I am indeed being a "social actor."
Finally, what I found so very interesting was the deep dive into the character of the respondents being studied; whether these folks had high or low self-esteem, how they viewed their body image, positively or negatively, etc. The hypothesis they posited were interesting and the results in relation to those with high self esteem (how I view myself), support my own view and personal experience (e.g., "people with high self esteem were reluctant to add new members into their networks unless they really know them"). Those of you that have made friend requests of me have not received a reply. Nothing personal to you all individually, I just don't care to share of myself of that forum as I believe that I am fairly intimate, I post a lot of pictures of my family and of things I love. It's personal to me and I want to keep it that way with those with whom I choose to connect.
No comments:
Post a Comment