Monday, June 11, 2012

Man-Computer Symbiosis response: zzzzzzz

I had high hope for this article based on the title alone; I work in technology and am a fan of science fiction writing. I saw the title and wrote a note next to it, "singularity?" My hopes were dashed on the rocks of time. While reading this paper, I don't know how many times I wondered to myself, "when the hell was this written?" It wasn't until about halfway through that I found it was written in 1960. To say I was disappointed in the content of the paper is too kind. To say I had trouble staying focused while reading this paper is likewise, too kind.

That said, the date of publication explains why the author is talking about FORTRAN and ALGOL when referring to "The Language Problem" in section 5.4. While I am not a coder, I have worked with coders for long enough to know that these are effectively ancient languages. I was wondering when he was going to bring up more modern languages like C++, Java, PHP... My hope was in vain, hence my seeking out the date.

I suppose this paper has a prevenient quality I should try to embrace. It is interesting to see a thinker from the 1950's / 1960's attempting to look into the crystal ball available to him at that time and consider the future. However, I find it curious that the author went this far; I may be a victim of the present looking back on a historical document to consider this in such a manner. 

Yet, I can't even today, bring myself to consider as the author does, the idea of "living together in intimate associations, or even close union, of two dissimilar organisms." I may be a victim of the "Terminator" movies. When I think of humans and computers being bonded as the author suggests, I only think in a negative manner. I am clear that for me this is also a human issue. I accept that computers can help the human with things like limbs or voice (e.g., Stephen Hawking), I would not think it wise to bond computers to the human mind.


4 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Excellent post! I like the fact that you expressed your feelings toward the post. I have not read this one yet, but since I am not in technology I don't think I will be as disappointed as you were :P I did read the "Quality of Online Relationships" and felt disappointed just like you did about this one. Great job incorporating a couple of topics such as coding and the possibility of humans and computers having a relationship. I agree with you that computers and humans should never be linked through a human's mind. I also blame the movies and television for that. That is something that would only happen in a fairytale. But like with Stephen Hawking, it's an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jinxx21,

      Thank you for commenting. I appreciate the feedback. I tend to know how I feel about stuff; my problem is that I perhaps don't moderate those feelings as much as I should. Actually, what is true is that in the school environment, I don't moderate like I do in the work environment.

      At any rate, having been connected to technology for as long as I have, I have a great respect for the field and for how much has changed and the pace of the change. I do enjoy watching and waiting for the next new thing...

      Cheers!

      Chato.

      Delete
  2. While I agree with you that it was hard to glean any real practical information out of this article, it was fun for me too see people as far back as 1960 imagining a Terminator-esque reality. As scary as it sounds I definitely think we will soon encounter the technological singularity, where the machines we build will be so advanced that they will be able to use self-modification to improve on themselves more than any human could. This will ultimately lead us to the place where technology advances at an exponential rate and ushers in the merging of technology and biology. Now hopefully I am wrong but I recently read an article by Ray Kurzweil where he went into much more detail on what I am talking about. Your in the field of technology so you probably know much more than me and I am curious as to what you think about this possibility?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey AG,

      Well, unfortunately, while technology moves ahead, so does everything else, including moral perspectives. I'm no prude, I am a bleeding heart liberal; I probably tend more towards socialist thought to be true. However, I believe that science will look to solve problems, like Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's. How someone chooses to approach that may just cause them to think that a computer chip in the head is the way to go. And who knows? That may work miracles. And who knows, that may open Pandora's box.

      I suspect science will forge ahead, whether we like it or not. Of course, time will tell...

      Thank you for the comment.

      Chato.

      Delete