I appreciate that Burkitt provides a summary of the point of his book right at the start of the chapter. To be honest, this text has been one of the more challenging reads I have had in school to date. The primary challenges for me have been the concepts of self for myself, as performed for others, and as perceived by others.
But as he states, it is so that we "truly understand ourselves" (p. 187). While I attempt to be on a constant journey to know myself better, I am thankful that I have been through a number of experiences in my life that have allowed me to do the hard work of introspection and evaluation of why certain things were so and when faced with similar choices, to do something different; or not.
All of the above leads me to accept what Burkitt posits on page 190, that we "begin to develop a core rather than unified self." I know I have a lot to learn and I am cognizant that I know not yet that which I will learn in the years to come.
This is kind of heady stuff for a media class. Yet, it's clear our professor is looking for us to connect the dots between the media options we have available to us via the 'net and how we "perform" in this arena. This, as with so much else in my life, will be the basis of future on-going cogitation for me. For that, I am grateful.
I too believe that understanding ourselves in a continual challenge which is only further complicated by the new forms of communication which are required in this technological age. It seems to me that given the speed at which people interact, post and comment, there is more of an urgency to post a comment rather than reflect about the comment and think about the ramifications, reactions and potential affects it may have on others. Since we do little critical self-reflection given our tendency to move so quickly from one issue to another and spend little time cultivating the local, we will continue to try and search more meaning in single serving relationships and experiences because we are so unwilling to stop and reflect. Reflection is key if any potential understanding of ourselves, others and the world is to take place.
ReplyDeleteHi James, Reflection is indeed key, at least to me. Glad you think so too. -Chato.
DeleteHey Chato!
ReplyDeleteGreat post on the Burkitt text. I really liked how he put a summary of the point of his book at the beginning of the chapter also. I felt like it really cleared up a lot just a little bit more. Indeed I would have to agree that this was a tough text to catch on to. Knowing myself is something I am trying to pursue more and more also. I believe that the more you know yourself, the more that you will be able to figure out your destiny in life and purpose. It is crazy that many people in their lives dont try and grasp this concept but it is a very important one in my eyes. I really enjoyed your response!
Hey Beef31, Thank you for the comment and feedback. -Chato.
DeleteHey Chato!
ReplyDeleteI like your analysis of this book and what you got out of it. I was in a similar boat, it was a very challenging reading because of the topic. There are so many perspectives in how one can analyze the self. I feel you, as well as me, got something out of this reading and the quoted text is a good ending point. "Begin to develop a core rather than a unified self". This book made me think in a perspective that I didn't think I would have had to when I signed up for this class. However, it was an interesting look at how one can try to analyze who I am.
-Rob
Hello Chato,
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent post as always! You always have a mouthful to say and write it done perfectly for others to understand (in my opinion). I think that this conclusion chapter in the Burkitt text was done wonderfully. It left food for thought for us to think about and further read. Burkitt also did a splendid job of wrapping up the books main components and ideas. I am thankful that Prof. Perez decided to make this a requirement reading. It taught me a lot!