Friday, August 3, 2012

New media, Oh look at that!

This article highlights that which is often the bane of my existence. I had a hard time starting this article, interestingly enough, due to distractions (I really should read such things physically away from my computer).

I felt that the forecast (of undesirable consequences) the author makes on page 581 is a bit laughable, in that it feels to me like shutting the barn door after the horse has left "Can hardly bode well for society"  (p.581) indeed; that seems a bit of an understatement.

What I find interesting in this article is the over-riding sense that there is shortened span of attention in our society. It also seems that each generation points a finger to a different cause, the comic book, the remote control, MTV, etc. It's hard to argue the point that our attention spans are shorter than generations past. However, while this study seeks to find the answers in the media, another study might easily point to political decisions, or another to global warming... It seems a tough nut to crack. And yet, I'm not sure I appreciate the import of this. Perhaps knowing "it" is half the battle...

No comments:

Post a Comment